Sunday 1 September 2013

Newsha Tavakolian - "Listen"

The Project Listen focuses on women singers who are not allowed to perform solo or produce their own CDs due to Islamic regulations in effect since 1979 revolution. The photos are taken of the professional women singers performing in their mind in front of a large audience where in reality this was taking place in a small private studio in downtown Teheran. Subsequently, in my mind, I made a dream over CD for each of the woman which was my own interpretation of the society iI live in and experience, however,the CD cases will for now remain empty.

"For me a woamn's voice represents a power that if you silence it, imbalances society and makes everything deform. The porject Listen echoes the voices of these silenced women. I let Iranian women singers perform through my camera while the world has never heard them."









No comments:

Post a Comment